The ZuCru Forums  

Go Back   The ZuCru Forums > ZuCru Forums > Car Hole
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th March 2015, 12:31 PM

phreezee is on a distinguished road
Default Formula 1 2015 Season

GAWD I hate Christian Horner. RBR are coming off as pathetic whiners.

RBR on the other hand are playing the blame game and getting political. No one was complaining when Vettel won 13/19 races in 2013. They easily had a 2-3 second advantage and were sandbagging the whole season. One just needs to look at Singapore of that year to see that their advantage is similar to what Mercedes has now.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/0...-here-to-stay/

In contrast, McLaren came in dead last and 2 laps behind and they took it as a success to complete the race. They continue to work hard toward their goal.
Old 17th March 2015, 12:33 PM

Glad the rest of the paddock agrees, too bad CH is so buddy buddy with Bernie: http://www.inautonews.com/furious-re...t#.VQhj1o7F98E

Quote:
Mar.17 (GMM/Inautonews.com) So far, Red Bull is finding little support in its quest for immediate changes to the rules.
Ferrari has already made clear it is content for now, particularly as it has leapfrogged Red Bull and Williams to be the second force behind dominant Mercedes.
“Our job is to attack Mercedes on the track,” said boss Maurizio Arrivabene, “not to change the rules.”
Mercedes chief Toto Wolff told his Red Bull counterparts to take their complaints to the Wailing Wall, and reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton advises the energy drink owned team to “hire better people”.
Rob Smedley, lead engineer at Williams, told Auto Motor und Sport: “I have worked for a team (Ferrari) that dominated.
“Now they (Mercedes) dominate. It’s the result of hard work. They have done everything right, so you just have to take your hat off to them,” said the Briton.
Also with no sympathy for Red Bull’s situation is Force India deputy Bob Fernley, whose calls for financial help at the end of last year fell on deaf ears.
“The four big teams, including Red Bull, were adamant nothing needed to be done, and now Red Bull are getting squeezed a bit, and probably coming under pressure from their owners,” he is quoted by AAP news agency.
“The reality is now setting in — welcome to the real world,” added Fernley.
“You can’t blame Mercedes for doing a good job. Everybody else has the same opportunity.”
Interestingly, Fernley also suggested that Red Bull is wrong to blame not only F1′s rules, but also its struggling engine supplier Renault, for its problems.
“Is it entirely Renault?” he asked. “Their sister car (Toro Rosso) performed reasonably well (in Australia) and with two young guys in the car.”
Old 18th March 2015, 11:35 AM
Mr. Late Night

ice has disabled reputation

Missed the first race, can't wait to stay up late and watch Malaysia early in the morning
Old 18th March 2015, 12:42 PM

wray is on a distinguished road

I was stoked to see Sauber on the grid at all, let alone doing so well. Hopefully the next race sees a "full" starting grid (c'mon Manor!) so there's a bit more action. 15 cars starting and 11 finishing is pathetic.

One thing I didn't quite understand is why Williams' reserve driver didn't step in for Bottas. Is it against the rules since Bottas qualified? Even so, they could have started from the pits or something?

Painful to see McLaren-Honda struggling so much, but hopefully they learned a lot in Australia and take a big step forward in Malaysia. Ferrari has impressed, and I'm sure Alonso is sick to his stomach over his decision to leave. He sure does have a history of poor timing!

Also, what happened to Grosjean? He seemed to avoid that first lap incident, but then promptly retired.
Old 21st March 2015, 08:32 PM

Pat said that Williams doesn't have a reserve driver and Susie is a Test driver. Will be interesting to see if Bottas isn't fit for Sepang.

Will Buxton's blog on RBR is spot on and well worth the read.
https://willthef1journo.wordpress.co...o-quit-let-it/
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:21 AM

So all that complaining about the engine being undriveable and blaming it for Danil's DNF, it turned out to be an oil leak in the transmission.
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:24 AM

Pirelli has been sold to ChinaChem : http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcelmi...ries-big-risk/
Old 24th March 2015, 01:45 PM

Mirage is on a distinguished road

Win the Australian GP driving for Mercedes, what do you do? Buy a Ferrari of course!

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/l...24-1m6frn.html
Old 25th March 2015, 04:10 PM

Some rumours are that RBR is planning to build their own engines. I can't see it happening, but if they go through with that, I will have a new respect for them -- although that decision won't be taken by the same people that are tarnishing the sport (ie. Marko and Horner).

Anyway, I'm hoping McLaren sees a big step forward in Malaysia. I don't think they'll get in the points (unless the attrition rate is as high as Australia), but if they can get both cars in the finish, or not finish dead last, that will be a nice indicator. It seems like they have a good chassis.
Old 26th March 2015, 09:35 AM

With the heat, I don't think McLaren will fair well unless Button pulls off a miracle in the rain.

I think Hamilton just bought it to help his contract negotiations. If he doesn't sign soon, he'll buy a P1 lol.

New F1 game out in June with new racing engine and tire model.
http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/03/f1-2015/
Old 26th March 2015, 05:34 PM

Bottas has been OK'ed to race, but Williams has signed Sutil as their back up driver.
Old 29th March 2015, 01:55 PM

The finger is back! However, I'm shocked at how many Ferrari bandwagon jumpers actually think they are going to see that finger again this year. Granted it was a great drive to make a 2 stop work in that heat, but honestly it was a gift from Mercedes poor strategy.
I'm not convinced that Lewis could have caught Seb on the mediums but they definitely should have tried that instead of the hard at the end.

But the real benefit of this result is that it makes RBR and Horner/Marko look like even bigger asses, so it's all good.

Last edited by phreezee : 29th March 2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 29th March 2015, 07:06 PM

Bhahaha best picture from the weekend

Last edited by phreezee : 29th March 2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 30th March 2015, 10:52 AM
Mr. Late Night

ice has disabled reputation

Looks like tire selection played a huge part in this race. Weird to see Vettel win in Ferrari red.
Old 30th March 2015, 11:34 AM

I think if you look at both Vettel and Kimi, the Ferrari had incredible pace this weekend, and they should be able to take the fight to Merc on at least a handful of races this season. Word is they also have some engine upgrades coming in time for the european races. The high temperatures worked in Ferrari's favour, but I certainly don't think it's the last time they'll challenge/beat Merc. What they really need is for Kimi to stop having the shittiest luck so their drivers can work together against Merc's strategy.

Also, I've never been a Vettel fan, but now I realize most of that was actually just because I despise RBR. The finger sure doesn't help, but I was genuinely happy for him this weekend. I still want Kimi to beat him though Also, seeing the German anthem followed by Italy, with Vettel swinging his finger around as if he was conducting the song... wow, so many flashbacks to Schu.
Old 30th March 2015, 03:20 PM

The Kimi vs Lewis side by side lap comparison BBC did, showed the Ferrari actually had a small pace advantage in the straights which was eye opening and undeniable. But the trade off was the extra downforce the Mercedes had, gave them a big advantage (4 tenths) in the corners. Ironically the faster corners probably contributed to Merc's higher tire degradation.

High heat + tire deg + poor strategy was a perfect storm for the Ferrari win.

I too was genuinely happy for Vettel and Ferrari also, since it was a deserved win. I don't mind him saying it was the first "fair+square" win in 1.5 years either, even if it was a shot at Ricciardo/RBR.

I hope Kimi gets a win this year if Ferrari does win again and completes their goal of 2 for this season.

Last edited by phreezee : 30th March 2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 19th April 2015, 11:46 AM

Super happy for Kimi to return to the podium. Bahrain delivers another great race.
Old 20th April 2015, 01:47 PM

That was the best race from start to finish that I've seen in quite some time. Lots of action throughout the field. I loved seeing Kimi in a position where he could push hard and deliver.

Honda's starting to look like a better engine than Renault already haha
Old 24th April 2015, 09:41 AM

Some insight on power unit design.

Old 24th April 2015, 04:20 PM

A couple more interesting tidbits on the Honda unit:
The compressor is actually an axial flow compressor. They did this so that it would be more compact and allow them to place it lower into the "V" of the engine, since McLaren really pushed them on packaging. Supposedly this isn't an issue at the moment, but if they move to 1000hp units in a couple of years, the axial flow may have trouble reaching the higher boost levels.