The ZuCru Forums  

Go Back   The ZuCru Forums > The Exchange > Lifestyles @ home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th November 2012, 06:33 PM

Hero is on a distinguished road

i will definitely have to try this. Hes doing really well now. I just got home and finally had a perfectly clean floor lol!! he pooped and peed on his pad I'm very proud as to how fast he learned. as soon as we got the right treats it made the training very easy. The acana food we got him seems to have been doing really well for him. his poop seems to have solidified and we have noticed he is a lot livelier running around and playing. He responds to his name and knows what come here means. I think i will definitely start his obedience training with what mirage has advised. One thing with him tho is i try to go for walks with him but every time i bring him outside he just curls up and doesn't move. any ideas or solutions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
You got hook ups to the RAVE???
Old 28th November 2012, 09:00 PM

dimples is on a distinguished road

Put a treat in your hand while you walk him, but don't give it to him. He'll smell it and will hopefully follow it. You can teach him to heel that way.
Old 28th November 2012, 10:13 PM

phreezee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
One thing with him tho is i try to go for walks with him but every time i bring him outside he just curls up and doesn't move. any ideas or solutions?
Like I said, don't feed him in the morning. Hold food in your hand and guide him along.
Old 29th November 2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimples View Post
Put a treat in your hand while you walk him, but don't give it to him. He'll smell it and will hopefully follow it. You can teach him to heel that way.
ok i will definitely try this out. I was worried maybe it was too cold for him to be outside that's why he was curling up. I will take him for a walk tonight and see if this trick works. I've put his eating schedule for 12pm and around 5-530 pm. do you think this is proper for him??

Quote:
Old 1st December 2012, 06:51 PM

I had the chance to take my little guy to the vet today. It was a pretty good experience for both us and boss. Everything they say is going ok with him but they said he is under weight. I guess I'm not feeding him enough lol He got all his shots up to date and luckily we got pet secure with our adoption so all his shots and medical needs are covered for a little while. So everything for his check ups and shots are for the price of on the house hahahah we even got a bag of food from the vet for free.99

Thanks Dimples for the tip I tried this with him just in our hallway to start off and he ran after me every time I ran away from him. Soon we will try to get him to go outside and see how that goes.

I need help with his kennel training he is going inside but he is not liking being in there for too long and when we close the door he freaks out and screams. I've tried what the internet has told me to do but no results. Anybody with some tips??

Quote:
Old 1st December 2012, 09:01 PM

dimples is on a distinguished road

Get a Kong toy, if you don't have one already. Put some peanut butter inside and some treats. Throw it in the kennel. That will keep him busy in there.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:31 AM

Mirage is on a distinguished road

For kennel training, we did the following:
1. First get your dog to recognize a recognition command such as "Yes!" when they do something right. This word becomes a good tool for future training. When we taught our dog to sit, the yes praise was incorporated when he follows through. Give the praise immediately when they do the action needed.
2. Keep the kennel door open, put treats in there, something tiny like a piece of hotdog. No bigger than a pea size.
3. When they go in to get the treat, use the Yes praise. If they don't do it right away, just wait and watch for the right time.
4. After awhile, the dog associates the kennel as being good, where you get treats and isn't scary.
5. Work on this for a few days, then slowly work to closing the door, then closing and locking. Don't open if they start whining. They'll associate whining with you opening the door. Not good, especially if you are trying to sleep at night.

Now my dog will go in his kennel when he wants to rest and be away from any noise, or if I'm cooking and he smells something good, he'll get my attention by sitting next to me until I look at him, then he'll go into his kennel and see if I notice again so he thinks he'll get a treat.
Old 3rd December 2012, 03:46 PM

the whining is the hardest part he goes in no problem to play and sleep but it's the whining when the door closes that he hasn't grasped. Do i just bare with the whining for now??

Quote:
Old 3rd December 2012, 04:30 PM

HAHAHA, I remember when Mikka used to do that. They eventually grow out of it, its a husky thing.
Old 3rd December 2012, 06:35 PM

minh, how old was Mikka until they grew out of it?? my guy is about 3 months now

Quote:
Old 4th December 2012, 03:45 PM

6-8 months I think.
Old 4th December 2012, 06:55 PM

we really focused on praising him on going in his crate and he has reacted really well he tends to walk in more and more often now. but he still cries when we lock him in

Quote:
Old 5th December 2012, 09:52 AM

Try closing the kennel door when he's in there, if he whines wait until he quiets down, praise and open the door to let him out. Give a treat if you want as well. This way your dog knows that closing the door isn't a bad thing and that they will eventually come out. Do this for a few minutes only, several times a day if you can. Anything longer and it can seem like work to your dog and they may get bored, associating the kennel with this.

For the dark, we got our dog a night light plugged in the kitchen. Not very bright, but enough so he can see a bit when all the lights are off.
Old 6th December 2012, 10:22 AM

what seems to work with him is to tell him to go inside and we put a treat through the kennel once he is in there. He then just sits there and plays or sleeps. Last night was awesome since he had a great time at GMC and CLO place as soon as we got home he just dropped. Slept really good until the middle of the night when he woke up but he just played until i put him back into the kennel and went back to sleep

Quote:
Old 7th December 2012, 11:22 AM

I need help!! My little guy has started vomiting ferociously the past few days and I'm really worried. One night i woke up and he got into the gf jewlery box and i'm really worried he swallowed something. I have an appt tomorrow at 1030am to have him checked out but apperantly he is refusing to drink and i know thats bad cause he can get dehydrated very quickly. What can i do to at least get him drinking??

Quote:
Old 7th December 2012, 12:33 PM

Not sure how to get him to drink.
But to keep our dog out of our bedrooms and from eating things he shouldn't there, especially the kids rooms since they always have toys/lego/paper, etc on the floor, we have baby stuff around, we have a baby gate to close off the hallway from him.
Old 10th December 2012, 10:31 AM

After going to the vet it seems boss had a type of parasite that was making him vomit and poop diarhea. He got his medication and hopefully doing better. He also has now started going for walks and even sleeps in his kennel all night. I'm really surprised on how fast he is learning. We have had him for not a even a month yet and he has learned alot. I really need hellp on his pooping on the pad though. He just refuses to do it. I don't know what else I can do.

Quote: