The ZuCru Forums  

Go Back   The ZuCru Forums > The Exchange > Lifestyles @ home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd November 2012, 09:42 AM

grandmasterchan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to grandmasterchan Send a message via Skype™ to grandmasterchan

After all the build up, what kind of dog did you get?
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:33 AM

Hero is on a distinguished road

he is a keeshond husky mix but the husky in him is more apperant. we decided to go with his because he has the look that we both wanted and he is only going to grow as a medium sized dog. so he won't get to big which is what we wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
You got hook ups to the RAVE???
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:39 AM

does anybody have a spare kennel I can borrow/buy for my small guy he slept good for his first night with us just beside our bed in his bed/pillow, but I want him to get used to being in a kennel. If i can get a big one great but I will make do with a small one for now.

Quote:
Old 23rd November 2012, 02:04 PM

wray is on a distinguished road

Canadian Tire usually has pretty good pricing on wire kennels. You can get the one suitable for his full grown size, and then it comes with a divider so you can make it smaller to help with house training.
Old 23rd November 2012, 04:30 PM

phreezee is on a distinguished road

Interesting, I never even heard of a Keeshond! Congrats!

Quote:
The Keeshond is a medium-sized dog with a plush two-layer coat of silver and black fur with a 'ruff' and a curled tail. It originated in Holland, and its closest relatives are the German spitzes such as the Pomeranian.
Old 24th November 2012, 05:13 PM

Thanks he's quite a handful but we love him to death he's really getting the hang of going to the bathroom on the pads and he recently just got comfortable to walk into his crate on his own without us placing him in there. I'm still trying to figure out what food to give him we recently went to best west pet foods or something and they were super helpful even gave us a free toy and magazine for him. But I don't think his tummy is handling it well he still has diarrhea but he's a happy guy.

http://imageshack.us/a/img526/2002/20121122183859.jpg

There's a nice pic of him. Is it normal that puppies sleep all day cuz that's all he does lol

Quote:
Old 24th November 2012, 09:03 PM

We feed Costco dog food. It doesn't contain corn and doesn't contain wheat flour which some dogs don't tolerate.
Old 24th November 2012, 10:23 PM

dimples is on a distinguished road

Feed white rice and and a bit of cooked ground beef for diarrhea. Try that for a few days. Casey gets diarrhea when she eats anything with wheat flour. Try removing that in your dog's food, including treats.
Old 25th November 2012, 11:08 AM

I just checked over the ingredients and none of them have wheat flour I have heard about the rice solution so I will try to get him to eat that today. I'm just really worried if its not his food that's bothering him if its something else. We plan on bringing him in for a check up soon just to make sure he is OK. I will try the rice solution and hopefully that will help him.

Quote:
Old 26th November 2012, 09:32 AM

I tried the rice and ground beef but he refused to eat it. I tried mixing it with his dog food and he ate around it. But one thing i did notice is I gave him one of the soft cesar meals and he ate it up no problem. it looked promising everytime he went to the bathroom after it stopped looking watery and started taking more form. but once he went back to his regular food it started up again. luckily the food store we went too has a guarantee that if the pup doesn't like the food or if his stomach didn't agree with it we can return the food for something else so hopefully we can find something that works with him. I'm really worried about him cause he is acting really weak and he keeps crying. we r going to the vet today to get him checked out

Quote:
Old 26th November 2012, 10:38 AM

Mirage is on a distinguished road

We feed our dog Acana or Origen from Pet Valu. Best West carries the same, if you go this route be sure to get on their bag buying program. Buy 12 and the next is free

To get your dog to eat, mix in some vanilla yogurt. As mentioned stay away from Corn and Wheat flour. It causes my dog to itch a lot and his sking dries out, besides not being very good for his stomach.

Oh, and if you plan on trimming his nails yourself, start by getting him used to the clipper now. Put it on the floor and let him sniff it, when he does praise and give him a treat. Then work your way to pretending to clip, etc,etc. In the long run you'll be happy, and won't have to fight your dog and get your arms torn apart!
Old 26th November 2012, 11:32 AM

Send a message via MSN to grandmasterchan Send a message via Skype™ to grandmasterchan

+1 for Acana and Orijen. Good stuff and made in Canada. Like Mirage, I have only been able to find it at Best West.

Don't know what the prices are like for the big bags since we have a small dog and a small bag lasts us 2 months at about $20 a bag.
Old 26th November 2012, 11:43 AM

I definitely plan on going to best west today to trade in our food, they have a really good deal right now where it's buy one get one free so I have a couple bags to return lol I'm gonn ask the vet today to see what she would recommend for him, but i will see if i can trade this in for one of the two mentioned above. I can see in his face he is in pain when he poops and his crying while it's happening is a dead give away.

As for his nails i have been considering cuting them cause he likes to play and he scratches me accidentally every time so i think thats something i definitely have to look at

Quote:
Old 26th November 2012, 10:05 PM

i got myself the bag of acana dog food for pups and my little guy hasn't pooped yet I'll take that as a good sign as in his body is now taking longer to digest his food which i hope has cured his loose bowl movements. I also managed to pick up some nice chicken treats for him that he loves!! he goes crazy for them. hopefully everything works out I'm really thankful for the advice it had brought my knowledge a long way and I really feel that I'm raising my little guy right. Now does anyone have advice on a vet?? recommendations???

Quote:
Old 27th November 2012, 09:52 AM

I've had experience with 2 in your area. Henderson Vet right next to McDonald's by Chief Peguis and Mcleod Animal Veterinary behind Superstore on Gateway. Mcleod just is more personable as they allow you to be with your dog during the examination. Henderson is all done private. We found that odd. Henderson is cheaper as well but we're talking like $10.
Old 27th November 2012, 11:15 AM

We take our Shiba to a vet in Stonewall. Found the pricing is a little cheaper, and its only about a 15 minute drive.

A few things to look out for:
Teething - you may find teeth in his water bowl, on the carpet, etc. Get a bully stick for him to chew on so he doesn't chew up your stuff
Obedience classes - best to start early, we took our classes at Woofs N' Wags, good teachers.
Other dogs - get them oriented with other dogs so they'll learn how to interact, greet, the butt sniffing ritual, etc. So he doesn't freak out. When dogs don't know the proper way to react, they usually just end up biting, etc
Some dog places hold puppy playtime where you can let your dog run around with other pups.
Medication - heartworm pills, flea pills for summer. Can't stress enough about worm pills. My buddies boxer got sick and was crapping worms, really unsettling.
Feeding - get them used to you being around when they eat. They can get food possessive, so when feeding try a few by hand at the same time, sit nearby, even take the bowl away for a second and give it back so they know everything is fine and they'll get the food back
Old 27th November 2012, 01:48 PM

Don't listen to a Vet regarding food. They recommend whatever brand paid them the most, or has the largest margin.

Exercise the dog to work up appetite.

Put the food out take it away within 15 minutes. With regular exercise the dog will eat by day 2 or 3. Feed nothing during the day, feed at night... it doesn't need to obey you if you feed it in the morning.

Go easy on treats, otherwise it will ignore kibble. Huskies are not food motivated so it will be harder to train.

My dogs have seen a vet maybe 5 times since I owned them, and once was for spaying.
Old 28th November 2012, 10:05 AM

i noticed last night he didn't eat at all he just played and ate his treats when i gave it to him after he pooped on his pad. What do u guys recommend as a good exercise for him, i run around with him and make him chase me thats about as much exercise as he get. He usually sleeps right after. This morning when the gf woke up he ran out of the room and went straight to his food.

Quote:
Old 28th November 2012, 10:36 AM

In the mornings when I get my dog his food ready, he isn't allowed to touch it until he listens. Which is usually a sit, stay, then "mine" (so he knows not to touch the food), then "yours" (so he knows its his now). Using the mine and yours command, I then use it for items like toys, etc. This way he's always thinking and knows the chain of command too. I've got him where when I say "mine" and hold food to his nose and move it closer to his face, he'll lean back and keep leaning until he almost falls over, but will never try to snatch the treat from my hand until I tell him.

For exercise, if you don't have much room, make him run the stairs. Have one person at the top and bottom and call him back and forth with treats.

For brain exercises, a muffin tin (12 cups at least), put tennis balls with treats under a few. He'll have to use his nose to find out where they are. I also do the same with a treat in one hand and the other empty. My dog will sniff my hands and then raise his paw to tell me which one to open.
Old 28th November 2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
What do u guys recommend as a good exercise for him, i run around with him and make him chase me thats about as much exercise as he get.
Play is easy for any dog. There is no mental workout going on there as it comes naturally. Start training on how to properly (heel) walk by your side, never leading or even sniffing until you say it's ok. This will tire them out both physically and mentally. 30 minutes walking, 5-10 minutes sniff/pee/poop time.