The ZuCru Forums  

Go Back   The ZuCru Forums > The Exchange > Lifestyles @ home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th September 2012, 08:58 AM

initial_gt is on a distinguished road
Default Places to buy furniture

Hey guys,

As some or most of you may have already found out, I finally purchased a house but the possession date isn't for a few weeks (November 9th) so this gives me some time to shop around for some furniture.

I was wondering for the folks in Winnipeg what places do you think provide the best 'bang for buck'? I know a few people have had terrible experiences with the Brick but are there any other places to look out for?

The house comes with all appliances so I'm not really worried about that. At this point i'm really looking to furnish the following:

- Living Room
- Master Bedroom
- Office/Computer room

I'd like to hear from people's experiences!

thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 09:16 AM

grandmasterchan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to grandmasterchan Send a message via Skype™ to grandmasterchan

It really really depends on your pricing, IMHO.

We bought our sectional from the Brick, but only because it was coming in at a great sale price that one of the sales associate tipped us on.

For beds, I actually liked dealing with Sleep Centre (Y'all find us!). No haggling, price was fair. Mattresses from Sleep Country.

EQ3 warehouse had some good deals, but very hit and miss. Their quality is on par with Ikea. So trendy, cheaply made not exactly durable. We did however get our entertainment/media storage from Ikea and even after transporting from Alberta it was still cheaper than similar EQ3 units.

Urban Barn is pricey and we always found we could find similar pieces at better prices.

Dufresne on Ellice and Route 90 has some quality pieces at slight above average pricing. In hindsight, I wish we had bought some of our pieces from here.

Believe it or not, Superstore sometimes has some good stuff, but its very seasonal.
Old 20th September 2012, 09:24 AM

Mirage is on a distinguished road

For beds/mattresses, Sears was having an unbelievable sale over the summer, not sure if its still going. Some $1000 mattresses were $300.

Superstore stuff is good, when they were selling couches at one point, they were designed by Alfred Sung (even Joe clothing is by the same company as Club Monaco).

Design Manitoba has some really good stuff, unique, but pricey.

EQ3 is ok. We've bought a good amount of furniture from them, but only worth it if its onsale or clearance at the warehouse.

My wife and I are looking at getting a sactional from Lovesac in the Mall of America. Build the couch/chair/lounger the way you want and add pieces as you need. Covers are completely removable and washable. And they come in 2 different sizes, regular and apartment size. A friend has had a full setup for at least 5 years and not problems, even with a 70lb boxer romping on the couch every day.
Old 20th September 2012, 09:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to grandmasterchan Send a message via Skype™ to grandmasterchan

Forgot to add if you're looking for baller stuff, try Moda and Keesay!
Old 20th September 2012, 09:57 AM

initial_gt is on a distinguished road

thanks for the suggestion so far! the price isn't really a huge factor considering I'm mostly purchasing furniture for myself. In truth I think I can get away with just furnishing the main living room and a bedroom for now. The portions i budgeted for things like a stove, fridge etc... can now be allocated in other areas.

i never thought of superstore. i guess i'll wander to their furniture section next time to take a look at what they have on hand.

that being said, i visited urban barn there yesterday. Seemed like some nice furniture, the price was a tad bit pricey but does anyone have any experiences with the quality from there?

Now here's a question I have for the long time home owners.... did you guys replace your furniture after a few years or should i intend to buy furniture that I plan to keep for 10+ years?

Last edited by initial_gt : 20th September 2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 20th September 2012, 10:17 AM

phreezee is on a distinguished road

Kijiji - Some good deals to be had.
Old 20th September 2012, 10:18 AM

Keeping furniture long term, for me since I've got 3 kids and a dog, I keep replacing things every couple of years. Not because they are broken, but we just keep needing bigger things, a couch, kids beds, etc.

If you do buy something pricey, ask about the warranty. A friend of ours submits all her warranty cards. Had her entire couch replaced for free at one point when the side broke.
Old 20th September 2012, 10:51 AM

dvst8r is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dvst8r Send a message via Skype™ to dvst8r

Possession in November. Major things like Mattresses - shop around - I'll second Best Sleep Centre - also look online for memory foam if that's what you want - BedInABag.com, tempurpedic.

Fabric pieces, I would not buy through Kijiji, bed bugs...anything else, check Kijiji, you can get some awesome things for a great price. I got a mint cherry wood executive desk and credenza for $300.

Minor things - tv stands, side tables, etc, wait for IKEA to open - not greatest quality stuff, but modern looking and good prices - and will last long if it's not abused.

Also, look out for Costco, once in awhile they have some nice furniture pieces they bring in.

Also check out the EQ3 warehouse (off springfield) and Palliser warehouse (by New Flyer)

Last edited by dvst8r : 20th September 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 20th September 2012, 11:35 AM

Peabee is on a distinguished road

Congrats again!!
Our furnishings were from Palliser, Ikea, Superstore, Eq3, Coast (appliances).
Some of the "cheaper" priced item aren't necessarily bad quality. All depends on how you care for your stuff. With kids & dogs, we haven't had any major issues.

If you choose trendier styles, you run the risk of wanting to change the style in a few years. For bigger ticket items (couch, table, dining table) choosing a classic look will last years. Spend less on decorative pieces (lamps, knick knacks, etc) then you can change them more frequently to achieve a new look.

A splurge worthy item would definitely be your mattress.

Not sure what you need for yard stuff... but now would be a good time to shop for lawnmower, patio furniture, etc.. seasonal summer items are on sale!
Old 20th September 2012, 12:33 PM

This is a veteran tip! Get that lawnmower now while its on clearance. You'll be paying way more come spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peabee View Post
Congrats again!!

Not sure what you need for yard stuff... but now would be a good time to shop for lawnmower, patio furniture, etc.. seasonal summer items are on sale!
Old 20th September 2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmasterchan View Post
This is a veteran tip! Get that lawnmower now while its on clearance. You'll be paying way more come spring.
Don't forget a BBQ! Got mine at Superstore 2 years ago for dirt cheap when they were clearing them out end of summer
Old 20th September 2012, 01:55 PM

mechamits is on a distinguished road

FYI last time I was at the Palliser warehouse in June/July they said the EQ3 warehouse was shutting down and moving into an extra space at the back of the Palliser warehouse on Kernahan (across from NewFlyer). There's also the big warehouse in Chinatown, scratch and dent Palliser stuff...
http://tagwarehouse.ca/
Old 20th September 2012, 10:42 PM
Mr. Late Night

ice has disabled reputation

Congrats on the place! Where are the pics?

Anywho, if you have anything you want from Dufresne, let me know, I still have my builders discount to use there. I plan on adding some sections to my sectional after move in.

I think everyone covered all the places locally that I would have gone to look for furniture on a budget. Please avoid the brick, you get what you pay for there. I've heard a lot of bad stories from lots of people. I'm sure you could google that too.

And for me, I agree in spending a bit more upfront, as I think major pieces of furniture should last you a long time and be worth the investment. Pieces like a good mattress, couch, dining table.

One other option no one mentioned: The Dufresne furniture auctions. i went once in the spring to check it out. It was just like TV lol. YUUUUUPP! Good deals to be had there, as most of the stuff goes for half of retail price on average. Next auction is October 14th at the regent location if you are interested.

Also, check out costco.ca online or london drugs online as well. They have some decent furniture especially when it goes on sale. Sears.ca has an online clearance area, lots of snowblowers and lawn mowers go on clearance there.

The one place I wish we had here is Crate & Barrel, I love their stuff and ended up ordering in similar stuff for my dining room area.
Old 21st September 2012, 08:33 AM

There's a Crate and Barrel in Edina, MN. I spent a good amount of time in there just buying kitchen knick knacks.

There's also a clearance place right behind Sumhay Restaurant on King and Logan. Very hit and miss.
Old 21st September 2012, 09:34 AM

phreezee is on a distinguished road

Crate & Barrel in Calgary, come on over!
Old 21st September 2012, 02:14 PM

RS13 is on a distinguished road

usedwinnipeg.com just kidding. Home outfitters and Wal-mart have some sales right now.
Old 22nd September 2012, 03:16 PM

YELLOW! is on a distinguished road

I furnished my entire apartment with stuff from Dufresne (bed/mattress/sofa/loveseat/dining set/coffee table/end tables/etc) and I'm happy with everything so far. I don't think they are the cheapest place, but the quality is good and the delivery & set-up were very professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
stock class awd here i come asshole