The ZuCru Forums  

Go Back   The ZuCru Forums > The Exchange > Lifestyles @ home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th June 2012, 11:29 AM

phreezee is on a distinguished road
Default Robot Slaves!

I got two Roomba's at home, but these new smarter vacuums make me want to try them out.
Samsumg Navibot
http://www.youtube.com/v/rqWsPYzv0a8

Neato XV-15
http://www.youtube.com/v/y021R6c4uPE

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....rodid=10369623

LG LRV5900 Hom Bot Cleaning System
http://www.youtube.com/v/SvHQAMY5ws4

http://www.youtube.com/v/HrxenefY4do
Old 6th June 2012, 12:13 PM
Mr. Late Night

ice has disabled reputation

I've been reading and hearing a lot about the Neato one. I decided to stick with the most popular Irobot Roomba ones. The Samsung unit looks interesting though.
Old 20th August 2012, 11:29 AM
Mr. Late Night

Old 4th September 2012, 10:06 AM

wray is on a distinguished road

Ordered a Neato XV-21 last night. We got an American Eskimo about a month ago and we are literally vacuuming or swiffering every 2 days and we still can't keep up. Hoping this thing alleviates the amount of work we have to do!
Old 4th September 2012, 03:04 PM

Bigblue is on a distinguished road

So I assume these things have some kind of program so they do their thing on a set schedule? Going to have all laminate floors in my new digs so one of these seems like it would save me a lot of time!
Old 4th September 2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wray View Post
Ordered a Neato XV-21 last night. We got an American Eskimo about a month ago and we are literally vacuuming or swiffering every 2 days and we still can't keep up. Hoping this thing alleviates the amount of work we have to do!
It'll never replace a full vacuum. Mine cannot keep up with my Siberian husky.
Old 4th September 2012, 03:59 PM

Yeah we'll be doing a full vacuum every week or so, but we just want something to get most of the hair that's floating all over the hardwood!

@BigBlue, yeah you can program a schedule into it so it will vacuum while you're at work and then it will return to its docking station when it's done (or needs recharging).
Old 7th September 2012, 02:13 PM

Really unimpressed with Neato. Their website lists several big stores like Best Buy, Sears, etc etc that sell their products, so we looked around online quite a bit but none of those stores seem to carry the XV-21 in Canada, so we went with the neato website directly. It advertises Free Shipping. We submit the order and all is well -- we get an acknowledgement of the order immediately (Monday evening).

TODAY (Friday) we get a notification from them that the order is on hold. My fiance phoned to find out what was going on. Turns out that for Canada, they can't actually DO the free ground shipping method -- they have to ship by air which is an extra $75. So they canceled the order and recommended a Canadian website we could purchase from (which has a higher sales price than Neato).
So I called them encouraging them to honor the original sale. If it costs them an extra $75, so be it. That's how business works. If they want to recover that cost, they should talk to the company that built their website since there is obviously a loophole. They refused to honor the original sale.

So now I'm left believing that the XV-21 is the most suitable robot vacuum for our needs, but being super pissed at Neato and not wanting to support their company.
Old 7th September 2014, 09:15 AM

YELLOW! is on a distinguished road

Dyson has entered the robot vacuum game.

http://youtu.be/xlaqYDZwoWo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
stock class awd here i come asshole
Old 8th September 2014, 10:01 AM

Mirage is on a distinguished road

Upside for the Dyson, is that it'll have the vacuum power to really clean. Downside is it won't fit under some furniture, 30 min runtime avg, and cost will be around $1200-1500 if I remember correctly.

Still looking forward to checking them out once they hit Canada. Really need one to clean up dog hair.
Old 8th September 2014, 10:31 AM
Mr. Late Night

Curious to see if the Dyson is THAT much better.
Old 9th September 2014, 01:38 PM

I hate my Dyson Animal as it has incredibly bad suction, and I'm dissapointed in myself for finally falling for the hype. Should have bought a Meile or another Kenmore Elite.

I'll stick with my Roomba's as I've been able to easily upgrade parts to keep up with new redesigned bins and rollers. Also the batteries are cheap on eBay.
Old 5th December 2014, 10:41 AM

So it's been 2 years that we've had our Neato XV-21. Quick review:

The logic seemed pretty solid when we got it, but after this much time we've gotten really tired of seeing it unable to find its home base, or stuck in a narrow area because it can't turn around, even though it should be able to back up. I saw it against a wall the other day asking me to clear its path. Seriously?

The one we got is meant for pets. It's got appropriate filters and supposedly the brushes work a bit better for fur. This is entirely false. I have to take the brush out and clean it out every single time we run it. I usually need to pop the bearings off and clean them out too. Once every couple months, a ball of fur actually get stuck between the brush motor sprocket and the belt, so I get the pleasure of tearing down the ENTIRE machine to pull out a piece of fur, and then re-assembling the entire thing.

The batteries cost $70-80 to replace and we've had to do that 2 or 3 times. We've also had to replace the brush, the brush guard, and the bumpers. Basically we've spent enough on parts that we could have almost bought 2 complete units by this point.

We're at the point where we barely ever use it anymore because it's a rare event for it to finish cleaning without our assistance.

So basically if you have pets or a lot of obstacles, I would NOT recommend this vacuum.

Also, agree with phreezee on the Dyson Animal. It's not the suction I'm disappointed in; it's the attachments. The "turbine" powerhead is weeeeak. They do include some stuff for basically restoring carpet that has a lot of animal fur in it and that's pretty effective, but takes a ton of work to actually use.
Old 11th December 2014, 04:19 PM
Mr. Late Night

Sucks about the batteries. They really add up if they keep failing.