The ZuCru Forums  

Go Back   The ZuCru Forums > The Exchange > Lifestyles @ home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th October 2012, 07:15 AM

Hero is on a distinguished road
Default Bed recommendations

Just wondering what everybody is using for beds? As in memory foam or springs? Any recommendations on certain brands like serta? After moving into the new place I have been sleeping on a futon and it's definitely caught up to me now cause my back has been aching for a while. So I think it is definitely time for me to get an actual bed and enjoy a good night sleep. I am definitely looking for a king cause I love my own space when I sleep. Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
You got hook ups to the RAVE???
Old 16th October 2012, 10:02 AM

dvst8r is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dvst8r Send a message via Skype™ to dvst8r

Only way to get a bed is to go out and try them out yourself. Everyone's body is different.
Old 16th October 2012, 10:07 AM

phreezee is on a distinguished road

One word: FIRM!
Old 16th October 2012, 12:04 PM

mechamits is on a distinguished road

Try out a bunch, I tried out dozens at about 8 different shops and ended up buying a Simmons pocket-coil mattress with foam surround and foam topper, most mattresses had the option of thin/medium/thick toppers. Definitely add Sleep Country to your list, they often undercut the prices of the bigger name shops by cutting out middle men and special-ordering direct from the manufacturers--or so they say.

Think of it as a major purchase, you spend a quarter to a third of your life sleeping on it and if you buy a decent one, it should last up to 10 years.
Old 17th October 2012, 11:43 AM

initial_gt is on a distinguished road

Buying a bed should be an investment. Don't be afraid to splurge some money on a bed if you find it comfortable! It's the one piece of furniture that you will use more than the others.

I went to Sleep Country in in order to buy a queen size memory foam mattress. That being said, I must have spent 2 hours in the store just trying out different types of beds. I tried high spring count beds, foam, memory foam and it was just an eye opening experience on how uncomfortable my current bed really was…

In terms of if you want foam or not, that’s all in personal preference. As I’m a lighter guy, the person at Sleep Country suggested that I try a bed that lets me ‘sink in’ a bit more in order to get proper support in my lower back and sides when I’m sleeping, in my opinion, he was right...i felt more comfortable in a 'softer' foam bed as opposed to a coil mattress... He also said that if you’re a heavier fellow, you should be looking more for a ‘firm’ type of mattress.

Just remember the sticker price can you usually be reduced by 20% if you’re not looking to purchase the box spring with the mattress. Also, don’t be afraid to ask for ‘clearance’ models, you’d be surprised how much you can save on a ‘previous year’ model.

Honestly - try sleep country! i had a great experience and would definitely go back.
Old 19th October 2012, 06:13 PM
Mr. Late Night

ice has disabled reputation

I don't have much advice, I slept on a twin or double size bed most of my life. Wasn't picky at all. They were pretty low end beds. When I moved out, one of the first things I looked for was a new bed. I was able to find a discontinued model for a very good price. Its a Serta Eurotop queen size boxspring and mattress. It's infinitely better than any bed I've ever slept on in my lifetime, definitely worth the investment! It's true, you spend 1/3 of your life on it, buy accordingly.
Old 20th October 2012, 03:53 AM

Hero is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the advice!! Me and the gf have both decided that we will most likely invest in a king sized foam bed. King size would be perfect for when we argue then at least I wouldn't have to go to the couch and sleep I could just roll over to one side and put a couple pillows in between lol. Do you guys see any sense in waiting for ikea to open up before I pull the trigger on a mattress or will ikea be more useful to me for a bed frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
You got hook ups to the RAVE???
Old 20th October 2012, 11:10 AM

dvst8r is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dvst8r Send a message via Skype™ to dvst8r

Get a good quality bed frame. If you do go Ikea don't get some cheap particle board stuff. Beds are used for more than just sleeping.
Old 20th October 2012, 11:42 AM

FIRE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8r View Post
Beds are used for more than just sleeping.
Like making a bed fort?!?!?!
Old 20th October 2012, 04:02 PM

Lamska is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Like making a bed fort?!?!?!
Wrestling?!?????!!!!

If that's the case, make sure you get a "sleigh bed" as you can use that as the "top rope"!!!!!