The ZuCru Forums  

Go Back   The ZuCru Forums > The Exchange > Lifestyles @ home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th November 2015, 01:43 PM

Hero is on a distinguished road
Default Home Automation

It's been long time since I poster on here!!

I'm a new home owner and am trying to figure out the best options for home automation and alarms. Currently the only thing I have installed that could be considered home automation is my garage opener where I use my phone to open and close my garage.

I'm looking now for stuff inside the house like thermostats, locks, lights etc. Does anybody have any input or reviews for certain products? I've been researching the home automation module Honeywell Tuxedo which seems to be a very good product. I also like the Nest Thermostats and smoke/co2 detectors as well which unfortunately will not work with the honeywell tuxedo due to lack of Z wave technology.

Let me know what you guys have in your home and what you think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
You got hook ups to the RAVE???
Old 17th November 2015, 02:00 PM

wray is on a distinguished road

I replaced my standard Kidde smoke/CO2 detector in my kitchen with a Nest and it is AWESOME. No more alarm every time I put a piece of bread in the toaster (which drove my dog and my daughter crazy). Even if you burn something in the oven, it will give you a heads up before going into full alarm mode, and the entire time you can monitor its activity from your phone. It lets you know when the battery runs down, and it even acts as a [really dim] night light if you're up for a late night snack.

I'd like to replace the others in my house with Nest units as well, but they're a bit pricey to all do at once and we're planning to move before long anyway, so maybe I'll do that in the next house.

I've heard good things about the Nest Thermostat too, but I've never used one.

You can get Bluetooth deadbolts for your doors too if that's something that interests you.
Old 19th November 2015, 10:23 AM

I've heard really good things about those Nest Protects. I definitely plan on putting them in but your right having to do all of them at once is pretty expensive. I counted a total of 6 in my place right now which is going to be pricey to have to replace all of them at once.

My only issues with nest is their lack of Z wave which is fine if it's only two products like the thermostat and smoke/CO2 detectors.

Anyone know of any good z wave door locks that can work with the home automation system? I like the idea of being able to pull into my garage and unlock my doors before heading to the door. I hate having to carry groceries to my door put them down to unlock and open it.

Quote:
Old 19th November 2015, 11:51 AM

phreezee is on a distinguished road

The return on investment on things like Nest thermostats takes years, and regular ones can run schedules. I looked in the past but decided against them. They are also coming out with newer models and it's not an item I would want to replace like other electronics on any kind of regular basis.

Monitored alarms are useless in my mind. I have an unmonitored one and rarely turn it on. My take on it is, invest in a NAS, and backup all your files onto it and you won't care if someone steals your laptop. I'd love all new TVs/Electronics from insurance.

Monitoring camera system is what I'd rather have. Something I can post on the web and provide to the police. It would also give me insight when prowlings happen.

I also have the the Chamberlain Q system just for the sanity check if I think I left the garage door open. It supports automating lights which I think is all you need when going on vacation.

Then there's cool A/V and blinds/shades automation, the cool next level stuff that I'm too ghetto for lol.
Old 20th November 2015, 02:45 PM

haulin oats is on a distinguished road

When I renovated my house last year, I put in a Nest Thermostat, and Nest Protects. They were a little buggy at first (false alarms), but with upgrades (that are automatic), they have been fantastic. I like the aesthetic look of them, and the functionality is great. I also like being able to adjust the thermostat from my phone. On hot days I crank the AC a cpl hours before getting home, and on cold days, I crank the heat. I don't care about the return on investment how long it will take to pay itself off. I just wanted a fucking cool looking thermostat on my wall.
Old 22nd November 2015, 08:19 AM

YELLOW! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
The return on investment on things like Nest thermostats takes years
Do people really concern themselves with ROI on a $249 item? That's like "impulse buy, use a couple times and forget you have it" price range lol. Except something as cool as nest stat would get full use by most buyers I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
stock class awd here i come asshole
Old 22nd November 2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YELLOW! View Post
Do people really concern themselves with ROI on a $249 item? That's like "impulse buy, use a couple times and forget you have it" price range lol. Except something as cool as nest stat would get full use by most buyers I'm sure.
Apparently not... ballers. lol
Old 23rd November 2015, 02:08 PM

I will probably pick up the Nest Thermostat this week. Best Buy has it for regular price but you get a $50 gift card when you purchase it. Best Buy has some good deals for home automation on their black friday sale this week.

Quote:
Old 24th November 2015, 12:22 PM

Seems like Ecobee > Nest on RFD http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ecobe...undle-1861269/
Old 3rd December 2015, 10:58 AM
Mr. Late Night

ice has disabled reputation

I have a bunch of Z-wave products in my house and I really like it. I use a Honeywell thermostat with my system because it interfaces with the Z wave stuff. Would have bought a Nest, but again its not compatible. The only advice I would give is avoid the locks that are fully mechanical. They are battery killers. I ended up removing it and going back to an older version with Z-wave.

As for monitored alarm, I only have that set up since my house insurance discount cancels it out. Otherwise, its pretty useless, if someone wants to enter your home, they will. They only need a minute or two to do what they want before anyone shows up. The best security is good neighbors.